Your financial contributions are what allows us to undertake life changing projects through meaningful partnerships with the women’s beader groups and the communities where we work. Almost all fund-raising and administrative time is donated to the organization, so your contribution can be used almost entirely for direct program expenses.
We are a 501(c)(3) organization, so contributions are tax deductible in the U.S. Your investment in the Ugandan women, children and families gives hope to their hearts, sparkles to their eyes, and joy to their lives. We spend at least two months each year in Uganda with our beader groups to personally provide oversight on expenditures of project funds. We can see firsthand how powerfully your gifts improve their lives and effect social change.
5 Urgent Priorities for 1st Quarter 2015 Are:
- Help fund home down payments for our Jinja home ownership project. This will help our Jinja become homeowners so they can move out of the slums forever and permanently overcome poverty. We have completed the land purchase and are now ready to begin the home construction phase. However, each lady needs to provide a down payment for her home. Your donation will help the group fund down payments for the first batch of ten women who will own homes as part of this life changing project.
- Expand the Agwata health clinic to offer maternity and immunization services by June 2015. This clinic which opened in June 2013 serves over 7000 people. Specialized equipment for maternity services needs to be purchased or constructed. In addition, a motorcycle (cost $1,000) is needed to offer immunization services at the clinic one day per week. Eventually, a more permanent solution of solar panels to provide electricity at the clinic is needed along with a solar powered refrigerator.
- Build 4 more classrooms (2 buildings) at the Agwata school (block 3 was completed in fall 2014). One classroom is needed for 1st graders and three classrooms are needed for 100 Nursery students. This will ensure that our very youngest students receive a solid start in their education and are in a safe and learning environment while their mothers work in the fields.
- Provide student desks for 3 existing classrooms (2nd to 4th grades) and wooden Nursery tables plus more plastic chairs for the three nursery classes. Each desk costs $60 and can seat 3 students. A total of 45 desks and 15 tables are needed.
- Expand our Girls’ Education Initiative in northern Uganda to accommodate the 100 girls that are in this program (this program targets 4th to 7th grade girls who might otherwise leave school to get married). The response to this program has been overwhelming and we need to break the girls into 2 different age groups, each with their own leader, and to further develop and formalize the curriculum we are using.
As one of our long-time supporters said recently, “We know you’re changing lives!” We can do that only with your help which in turn helps expand the women’s and students’ thoughts about what they can achieve in life. We strive to concentrate your donations in the areas where they will have the greatest impact for social change.