Your financial contributions are what allows us to undertake life changing projects through meaningful partnerships with the women’s beader groups and the communities where we work. Almost all fund-raising and administrative time is donated to the organization, so your contribution can be used almost entirely for direct program expenses.
We are a 501(c)(3) organization, so contributions are tax deductible in the U.S. Your investment in the Ugandan women, children and families gives hope to their hearts, sparkles to their eyes, and joy to their lives. We spend at least two months each year in Uganda with our beader groups to personally provide oversight on expenditures of project funds. We can see firsthand how powerfully your gifts improve their lives and effect social change.
Five Priorities for December 2016 and Early 2017 Are:
- Chain link fencing around the Agwata school to help make our classrooms and teacher houses as well as our students, are safe and secure. Currently, there is no fencing around the property which makes it difficult for our security guard to keep watch over the property at all times. It also results in many local domestic animals invading the school property especially during dry season. (Estimated Cost: $5,000)
- Build two more classrooms (our 5th classroom building) at the Agwata school (block 4 was completed in late 2015/early 2016). First graders and our youngest class of Nursery students still need classrooms. This will ensure that our very youngest students receive a solid start in their education and are in a safe and learning environment while their mothers work in the fields. In the meantime, these two student classes still meet in the dark, dilapidated original mud and thatch building. (Estimated Cost: $12,000 + $3000 additional for metal shutters and a front roofed veranda area). So far, we have raised $8,000 for this project but still need $4000 to get the main building fully completed. Work is scheduled to begin in January 2017.
- Student desks for 2 existing classrooms (kindergarten and 1st grades) Each desk costs $60 and can seat 3 students. A total of 36 desks are needed. (Cost: $1100 per classroom. $60 per individual desk)
- Build a small outdoor pavilion at the Agwata school. This will afford additional meeting space for our 5th and 6th grade students, and also provide much needed meeting space for our Girls’ Education Initiative program and even our women’s beading group which usually meet under a tree. This makes it difficult or impossible to meet when it rains. (Cost: $2500)
- Help fund home down payments for our Jinja home ownership project. This will help our Jinja become homeowners so they can move out of the slums forever and permanently overcome poverty. We have completed the land purchase and are now ready to begin the home construction phase. Each lady is providing a down payment of $1400 on her home which she has saved from her bead and business earnings. However, we need to obtain donations of $5,000 for each lady’s home so that her financed cost portion will remain low. Your donation is needed to help build the first batch of ten homes as part of this life changing project.